Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chick Fight

The following are from books about women, written by women:

Sarah Pevey, twenty-three, from Knoxville, Tennessee, cyber-sighs to me: "Ahh ... chick-fighting. I'm a veteran. I've heard some people say that the world would be more peaceful if women ruled the world. I don't think so. I think that if women ruled the world, we wouldn't just bomb the enemy. We would turn their friends against them and crush their spirits so badly that they would bomb themselves."
Shalit, Wendy. Girls Gone Mild New York: Random House, 2007

I remember when my son was in first grade. I thought, "What a great question!" I asked my boy what was the difference between how girls fight and how boys fight. I will never forget his answer: "Well, Mom, when girls get mad at each other, they get other girls to be mad with them, and stay mad forever. When boys yet mad at each other, they yell and shove, then they forget about it and go play ball."
Schlessinger, Dr. Laura C. Woman Power New York: HarperCollins, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment