Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father’s Day 2009

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there!

I heard something very meaningful last week about fatherhood. It said the important thing was to be involved in your kid’s life and not to get hung up because you are not perfect. That meant a lot to me. It’s encouraging to know that just being present goes a long way.

Here is a link to a story I read in the newspaper yesterday about President Obama encouraging fathers to be involved in their kids’ lives. I commend him for talking about that. I would disagree with him on almost everything else but on that we agree. Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Obama said that growing up without a father left a hole in his heart. It didn’t matter how great his mother and grandparents were, he still missed having a dad.

I’m thankful I had such a wonderful father. Here is a link to a tribute I wrote about him a few years ago. He has been dead for almost five years now but he is still a very important part of my life.

Today there will be a Father’s Day celebration in my home. I will celebrate the privilege of being a father to the wonderful children God gave to me. That is one of the best blessings I have ever had.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment