Monday, November 9, 2009

Prayer


In the book A Praying Life, Paul Miller wrote that sometimes we don't pray because we want to be in control and sometimes we don't pray because we think we can't be in control: "But the point of prayer is shifting control to God." Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done.

I believe in prayer. Every weekday morning I pray for family, friends and even some people I don’t know like the “homeless sign” guy on the corner near our house.

I added a friend last night; Randy has been diagnosed with Lymphoma. I will carry a burden for my friend during this difficult time.

Another thing I pray about is our political leaders. I use a verse out of Proverbs 21:1 The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will. I pray for God to surprise our leaders by having them do things they didn’t plan to do.

Prayer is mysterious. Isn’t it awesome that the God of the universe beckons us to ask Him for things. What if we neglect prayer? Are there good things that will be left undone and bad things that will come to pass?

I always hope that people are praying for my family and me.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment