Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Trust God?

"We pray to God when we feel the need to," he said, "but when we come here to America, we don't feel the need."
That quote grabbed my attention. It speaks specifically about Latinos coming to America but it probably describes many who are native to this country.

America is the land of opportunity, which is good, and self-sufficiency, which may not be. Are Christians different in these things? We speak of trusting God but what does that really mean?

Here is some Scripture on trust:

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Psalm 20:7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

Psalm 25:2 O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me.

Psalm 91:2 I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

It seems that we do everything possible to insulate ourselves from discomfort and the unknown. We have all types of insurance to cover every possible loss or calamity. We have savings accounts and retirement plans and credit cards. Now these things may not be bad but do they keep us from trusting God? Some people are absolutely paralyzed by fear of the future. When was the last time you had to pray for your daily bread? What is your first thought when trouble comes? Is it God or something else?

What opportunities do you have in your life to grow in trust of God? Are there things in your life that if God doesn’t act, nothing will happen? We don’t like these things but we can’t grow without them.

We need to be careful of all the safety nets we have for our lives. They may insulate us from developing the strength and trust we will need for the future, for a time when there is no net. May we let God stretch us, make us uncomfortable; and reveal His incredible resources and power.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment