Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Why Resist Temptation?

At a Bible Study last night, I had a revelation. It will probably change my life.

The subject was temptation. Here is the passage: 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life--is not from the Father but is from the world.

It was pointed out that in using the word all, the passage is telling us that all temptation can be traced to one of the three things mentioned. The leader then went on to say that temptation is a perversion of something good that God wants to give us.

Take sex for example. God created it and it is good but we are tempted to give into a perversion of sex such as fornication, adultery or masturbation.

Or how about food? God made food that tastes good and we need it to live. But we are tempted to give into a perversion of food through gluttony or eating disorders.

Possessions can be the same. There is a lot of stuff that we need and things in themselves are not wrong. But we are tempted to give into a perversion of things when we become greedy or covetous.

Here is my revelation: I realized that when I give into temptation I am suffering a double loss. First, I don’t get the good thing that God wants to give me and second, I don’t gain what I thought the temptation was going to give me.

I’m going to burn that thought in my mind. I want to remember it when I am tempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment