Saturday, May 1, 2010

2010 Men’s Retreat – 3

Thoughts from the 2010 BV men’s retreat. Saturday morning – Austin Krokos talking.

Nobody said it was easy…fix your eyes on Jesus.

Hebrews 12:1-2 encourages us to lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily entangles and then to fix our eyes on Jesus. Each of those helps us to do the other.

Another key is Hebrews 11:13. The righteous who are mentioned in that chapter acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. That will make a big difference in how we live. Are our eyes on earthly things and pursuits or do we live like we are longing for another place?

Hebrews 12:1 goes on to tell us to run the race with endurance. Because of hope we bear up. We are patient under things and circumstances. This quality of character does not allow us to surrender to circumstances or succumb under trial. Boy do I need that!

It is in focusing on Jesus that this is possible. It’s not my willpower or strength but His that gives me victory. I need to let Jesus live through me. The Helper has been sent (Jn 16:7) and God has given us Scripture. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that the Scripture has been given for teaching, for reproof, for correction and training in righteousness. As a result I will be competent and equipped for every good work.

It seems that if I take advantage of the resources that God has given I will be ready for what comes my way even if it is not an easy path.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment