Friday, March 10, 2017

The Last Addiction

From The Last Addiction by Sharon A. Hersh

Humility frees us from embarrassment about ourselves or our loved ones and keeps us open to the healing path, in whatever form it might take. I learned my own need for humility in my failures in recovery. I hid my relapse from others for the reason often quoted in Alcoholics Anonymous meetings: "You don't want to relapse, because then you have to go to the back of the line." Right, I didn't want to go to the back of the line, and I certainly didn't want anyone to tell me that I had to go there. I had stepped off the path, not because of my relapse, but because of my pride. I was unwilling to believe that my relapse needed to happen because I still had a lot to learn. Humility allows us to hear that every relapse or struggle is an opportunity to learn something, and then humility leads us to what we need to learn, even from the back of the line.

Humility is a deep knowing in my soul that I can't do it. It is the final answer to the last addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment