Monday, June 20, 2011

Who Hates God?

Man is now only free to be what he is - a sinner who hates God.

I heard this line in a bible study video I was watching yesterday. It was referring to the condition of man after the fall. I don't think I agree with it.

I know it fits with the whole total depravity thing that is popular in Calvinistic or Reformed circles.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think unregenerate man is someone pretty or who has it halfway together. It just seems some people go farther than they should in their descriptions.

I think of myself: from as far back as I can remember, I wanted to follow God. Not that I did though. Yes I was ignorant and rebellious and on my way to he'll. But, I don't think I hated God. If anything I was indifferent to what I really needed to do.

I think of children who are rebellious: do they hate their parents? Not necessarily. They are ignorant and self-centered for sure.

There are some people who are God haters. I wonder about the person at NBC who bleeped out the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance during the US Open this weekend. Or the so called atheists who spend all their time denying and fighting against someone who doesn't exist. They may hate God.

So man after the fall was in bad shape and in need of a Savior but not all God haters, at least in the way we define hate. That's what I think at least.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment