Monday, December 10, 2007

When Homeschoolers Kill

People were killed yesterday at YWAM and at New Life Church. I heard of it in the afternoon.

This morning on talk radio, I heard people calling in and saying they thought a homosexual did it. Their reasoning was that New Life and YWAM were opposed to homosexuality so some poor oppressed person was striking back at them.

Now we know the killer had been homeschooled. I wonder if the critics are disappointed. Now they will have to switch gears and talk of the poor oppressed homeschooled kid.

I know the killer’s parents. We used to go to church with them. Matthew Murray, their son, was in one of my son’s Sunday school classes when they were very little. We had continued contact with the family through the years in homeschool circles and various events with common friends.

I didn’t really know Matthew but a way to describe him was “dark.” He always seemed troubled and I know his parents were always trying to figure out what to do. I can’t even begin to think of what they must be going through.

When my wife and I were married, we established a Christian home. We followed Jesus and were going to raise our children to follow Him too. We figured that everything would turn out well. Of course, we have had a rude awakening and many disappointments. We have a daughter who is a prodigal. She wants to figure things out her own way. She has had a lot of heartache and our prayer is that some day she will come to her senses and realize that all she ever wanted is what God has provided.

I know what it is like to have a child go the wrong way. I’ve seen it happen in many other good families as well. Children exercise their free will and they don’t always do the right thing.

Matthew Murray went to the extreme. When it all comes out, I think we will find out that he wasn’t just a kid who went the wrong way. Some will say he had mental problems and others will say that he was demon possessed. He could have found healing in Christ but something kept him away.

Pray for his parents, their life will never be the same.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment