Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How’s That Working For Ya?

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Don’t we all do that at times? We have our way of doing things and keep doing it that way even if it’s not working.

When I began the journey to lose weight I didn’t know what was going to be involved. I took the first step of confessing to God, myself and others that I needed to lose weight and I knew the first action was to start eating less. Beyond that I didn’t have a plan.

I admitted to God that I couldn’t do it. I didn’t have the strength or willingness in myself. It was then that God put things together. He brought people and tools to me. I let all of my ideas go and accepted the wisdom of others.

It can be hard to admit that “my” way hasn’t worked. It can even be harder to have to do it someone else’s way. “I’ll do anything but that” is a common thing we tell ourselves. I think that many times God frustrates our own plans because he wants us to have to admit we need him and others to succeed.

Many times it can be like our attitude towards prayer; it’s the last thing we do when all else fails. How much better to start with humility - I can’t do it; I need help, is what God loves to hear. You may be surprised how much other people can help too.

So, how’s that working for ya?

Here is a link to posts about my weight loss journey.

Philip

1 comment:

  1. We think becuase we have been in church all our lives or work out our salvation with fear and trembling that we have a few answers. I like what you said. We know nothing.

    It's a much better approach.

    And way to go on that weight!

    ReplyDelete