Friday, January 14, 2011

I’m doing this for me

“I’m doing this for me” can be an act of selfishness or of self-control.

I can think of countless situations where people have used “for me” as the preamble to the explanation of their next selfish act. I’m breaking my marriage vows. I’m leaving my family. I’m buying this thing. We’re moving. I’m getting an abortion. It’s for me and I really don’t care that it’s going to hurt you.

On the other hand, there are times we need to leave the crowd and do what’s right. I know of several families where church attendance is sporadic or non-existent because one of the partners doesn’t want to go. Spiritual disciplines are always good no matter what your spouse or family think or do. Needed weight loss? If you don’t do it for you, it probably won’t last. Job excellence? Do it for you no matter what other employees do.

I find that I lean heavily towards selfishness and laziness. The things I do “for me”, are not always the best for all involved. Also, laziness pushes me to not do the things that are good for me. I may use the inaction of others as an excuse for my own.

Left to ourselves, I think we all slide toward the bad. What we need are good people in our lives who can help us see what our true motivations are or maybe we need a kick in the butt to get us going. Good friends can help bring out the best in us. Bad friends will help plan the next disaster.

May you be blessed with good friends.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment