Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My mouth – what goes in and what comes out

My biggest problem at this point in my life is my mouth – what goes in and what comes out. I am making some improvements on both but still have a long way to go. I will speak to the first in a later post.

As far as what comes out of my mouth, it’s very easy for me to notice the negative and to comment on it. Instead of pointing out the good people do, I usually focus on their failings. This is particularly bad for my family.

I also get involved in things where what I have to say doesn’t do any good in making a situation better. I’m learning that there are times where it is just better to be silent.

Here are some words from James 3:2-10 that talk about the problem tongue:

For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
(James 3:2-10 ESV)
I so identify with these verses. It seems sometimes that my tongue will never be tamed. I am encouraged to know that it is a common enough problem that it is addressed here. Can you imagine one of the Apostles having to apologize for an inappropriate comment? I can see Peter having to do that.

I know there isn’t anything too difficult for God so I know that He will help me in this area. Later I will tell you of the changes that are happening with what is going into my mouth.

Philip

1 comment:

  1. Philip -- from what I know , you are a soft-spoken man.

    And yes, we can get in trouble. But most of the time your words are measured and we listen when you speak.

    But we can always speak a better word into situations

    ReplyDelete