Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lose It for Life

One of the first good things I did on my weight loss journey was to admit to a group of friends that I knew I needed to lose at least 50 pounds. I was out of the closet. Of course, anyone who looked at me knew I needed to lose weight but of course people don’t talk about those kind of things.

One of those friends asked if I wanted to borrow a weight loss program he had. I reluctantly said yes. I wondered what it would be. Was it some sort of psychological mess? Was it a weird diet?

The first thing I started to do after my admission to God and others that I needed to lose weight was to cut down on the amount of food I was eating. I tried to put less on my plate and didn’t get seconds. I also quit cleaning off the plates of the rest of the family when we had something I really liked. I wasn’t thinking about nutrition or healthy eating at this point. The first small change was eating less. It was something I could do and I could live with it.

I really did want to succeed in this new way of life. There was one time many years ago that I tried to lose weight. I did a lot of exercise and tried to cut down on food. I lost some weight but didn’t get too far. I kept the daily exercise going for about a year and a half and then a family crisis came along. The exercise stopped and over time the weight returned. As the years went by I kept adding. I was up to 211 when my journey backwards began.

So back to the program my friend gave me. It was called Lose It for Life by Stephen Arterburn. I looked it over and was pleasantly surprised. The book claimed it was the total solution – spiritual, emotional and physical - for permanent weight loss. It wasn’t a diet either. Instead it seemed against dieting and was for making healthy changes that will last.

There was a book, workbook, CD’s and DVD’s. I bought a copy of the workbook for myself and started going through it as I read the corresponding chapters in the book. I was amazed at what I was learning and how I was being challenged.

I started thinking about why I ate too much. Why did I choose quantity over quality? Why did I want to be stuffed at every meal? When did this behavior begin?

If you are interested in checking out the Lose It for Life program, here is a link to the whole package on Amazon. You can also get the book and workbook separately.

The changes that were happening in my life helped me lose weight but also helped me to develop healthier habits. I will talk more about the specifics later.

Here is a link to posts about my weight loss journey.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment