Friday, March 9, 2007

Not My Vote


If Newt Gingrich ran for president, I don’t think I would vote for him.

He identifies as a brother in Christ. He has been married three times. He has had at least one “affair.” He resigned from Congress after ethics problems surfaced and most of this fairly recent.

I’m not sure I trust him. He may have repented but I wonder if enough time has passed. Is he admitting things so he can put them behind him and run for president?

When Ted Haggard was exposed, the overseers who came in to deal with the situation made it clear that he would never return to New Life Church as a leader and the question was raised if he would ever be able to do public ministry again.

Chuck Swindoll has said that if a pastor is involved in immorality, it’s a one shot deal and he should be out of the pastorate for good.

I don’t think these ideas reek of unforgiveness but rather of a high standard. I think the same should hold true for politicians. We really do need political leaders of unquestioned ethics although that seems like one of the biggest jokes of all time. We seem to accept that most guys will be corrupted by power and compromise is part of the game.

Maybe we get what we accept.

Now don’t get me wrong. We are all sinners and none of us are qualified to throw the first stone yet we need to hold the standard high.

Your thoughts? Are certain sins consequences different from others? Are certain people judged differently, by a higher standard?

Should I shut up because I’m a sinner too?

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment