Thursday, March 1, 2007

Stolen Art?

Here is a story from today’s Rocky Mountain News about two Picasso paintings that were stolen.

I guess I will show my ignorance by wondering aloud why someone would want them. The top one is of his daughter and the bottom of his second wife. Well I guess they are not photographs. Apparently the paintings are valued at $66 million? Imagine that.

I know I’m prejudiced but I think my five year old son could give Picasso some competition. Here is one of his drawings. It’s called Andy and Dad. I’m probably taking a big risk by showing it here. I hope someone doesn’t get the idea to break into our home and steal it. After all, the drawing is worth more than $66 million, it’s priceless.

Now about those Picasso’s, I read a story in World Magazine that might explain where they are. Here it is:

Mistaken identity
Kudos to the Santa Cruz, Calif., sheriff's department for recovering an important and expensive piece of public art that was heisted from the area's Triangle Park in November. A deputy found the copper origami crane, which had once presided on top of the park's Peace Pyramid, in a black trash bag in the middle of a street. But after the deputy booked the sculpture into the police evidence room, someone tossed it out with the trash. "Somebody thought it was garbage," sheriff's Sgt. Fred Plageman said, noting that the sculpture probably rests under a few tons of garbage at the county dump. But they were wrong: It was modern art.
So there you have it. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment