Thursday, August 9, 2007

Don't Be Jealous of Your Christian Brothers

From my morning reading

The Devil once decided to have a yard sale. He had too many devices and techniques with which to defeat people. Up went hatred on the dealer's table. Rebellion and drunkenness next followed. Then vice after vice was put on the table to be sold. But as one of the Devil's minions placed jealousy on the table, Satan quickly snatched it away. "I can't sell this," he exclaimed. "It's my most valuable weapon!"

There's a lot of truth in that statement. Jealousy is indeed one the Devil's most valuable weapons (see Gal. 5:20). He uses it to discourage people. He gets them to focus on what others have rather than being content with their own possessions.

Jealousy is envy's twin and hostility's first cousin. Jealousy gets people to think thus: Just look at Jim there. He has everything, and he didn't even have to work very hard to get it! But look at me. I've worked hard all my life. And what do I have to show for it? Nothing! I should have what Jim has.

Don't fall into this trap. Life is not fair, and the world does not owe you anything. Some people have more than we do, and they can do more than we can. But remember, others and their possessions are not your primary concern. Rather, becoming more godly should be your foremost priority (see 1 Tim. 4:8 ). Therefore, don't make a bid on jealousy at the Devil's yard sale.

Dear Lord, please help me not to be jealous of others, especially my fellow Christian brothers. Amen.

From God’s Man
A Daily Devotional Guide to Christlike Character
Edited by: Don M. Aycock

No comments:

Post a Comment