Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Liar

I lied to my wife last week. She asked me if I had done something and I denied it. The thing at hand wasn’t a big deal but I thought an admission would lead to a conflict.

She was satisfied with my response but immediately I knew I couldn’t let a blatant lie sit. So what do I do? I tell another half-truth (lie). I admitted I did what she asked me about but coupled it with another thing that made it look better.

A day passes and I know I can’t let these lies go on. I write a note telling her the complete truth and let her know I am open to any questions she may have. She was gracious in accepting the belated truth telling.

I came across a book on telling the truth. One of the things it brought out is that sometimes lying makes things easier, or at least we think so. I lied to my wife because I thought the truth would bring conflict. Maybe it would have but it could have been worked through or maybe wouldn’t have at all.

Lying breaks down trust, especially when you are caught. It raises the question, “So what else have you lied about?” I know it makes me feel that way when I think someone isn’t telling me the truth.

I don’t want to lie and I don’t want to be a liar. I also don’t want to be someone who lies by telling part of the truth. As the saying goes, “the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment