Thursday, January 21, 2010

Politicians on the Pot

I went to a town hall meeting last night with my Colorado State Senator. It reminded me that politicians are always campaigning and never miss an opportunity to exalt their self-importance.

The focus of the meeting was medical marijuana. It looked to me like most of the attendees were there to support pot. They are probably the greatest example of why pot is bad. If you were there you would know what I mean.

It was also clear that Senators Chris Romer and Pat Steadman don’t just want “medical” marijuana but outright legalization. I know many other Colorado legislators feel the same way. That is the danger as bills are put forth in this legislative session. In the guise of dealing with the explosion of marijuana “dispensaries” they will not stick to what the misguided voters allowed in 2000 with approval of medical marijuana. They will use what is going on to essentially legalize marijuana for anyone who wants to go to a doctor and claim they are in pain.

Hopefully the Colorado Attorney General and other law enforcement will be heard. What they are proposing is a lot closer to what the Amendment allows.

If you don’t want legalized marijuana in Colorado then you need to become educated on what the voters approved and then demand that legislators enforce that and don’t expand on it.

The reason we are having such rapid growth in the" medical" marijuana industry is that Obama's U.S. Attorney General announced that the Federal government will not enforce existing Federal laws in states that have "medical" marijuana. I guess that shows how lawless they are. It would be one thing if they asked Congress to change Federal law but it is wrong to ignore existing laws.

As soon as I can get all my thoughts on paper I will post what I have learned about the Amendment, what the Health department is recommending, what courts are saying and what I think about it.

With that information I plan to contact my legislators and share it wherever I can. I hope you will join me.

If you want to look at the Amendment yourself, here is a link.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment