Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Don’t Worry…Be Thankful

From my morning reading.

Receive every inward and outward trouble, every disappointment, pain, uneasiness, temptation, darkness, and desolation, with both thy hands, as a true opportunity and blessed occasion of dying to self, and entering into a fuller fellowship with thy self-denying, suffering Saviour. Look at no inward or outward trouble in any other view; reject every other thought about it; and then every kind of trial and distress will become the blessed day of thy prosperity. That state is best, which exerciseth the highest faith in, and fullest resignation to God.
William Law.

From Daily Strength For Daily Needs
- Mary Tileston

Wow! This really fit today. I left a guy’s night fellowship last night to find that my work van wouldn’t start. Messed around with it awhile then called a tow truck. Today, I am waiting to hear what’s wrong. First guess would be a fuel pump.

So, it was good to be reminded this morning that God wants me to trust Him. Another thing I was reading was also about difficult experiences we may be going through. The challenge in it was first to look for unconfessed sin that God might be dealing with. Second, was to know that God uses many things to help us grow closer to Him. The action point was to write down on paper any known weaknesses or sins that are plaguing me today. The thing that came to mind was worry. I hate waiting to hear about a car repair as the news is not often good. I hate it more when it is my work vehicle.

The verse that came to mind was Philippians 4:6-7. Here is my paraphrase: Don’t worry about anything but pray about everything with thanksgiving. Then God’s amazing peace will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

That’s what I’m working on today.

Philip

PS Just heard from the shop. It is the fuel pump, about $750 to fix it. So, part of the waiting is over. I’m thankful for good mechanics and that God is a good provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment