Monday, January 1, 2007

Friendship

I read a column in the paper today about the importance of friendship.

The writer spoke of some upheaval in her life and was thankful that she had always had a small group of close confidants, the core of which had been there for decades.

She pointed out that most Americans don’t have the same thing. In fact, we have fewer and fewer friends. A study showed that there has been a huge drop in the size of people’s core network of confidants.

She went on to say that there are even health and negative social consequences to not having such a group.

It’s something I have been working on myself. I do have several friends that go back about twenty to thirty years. But to be honest, I haven’t been very open and honest in those friendships. It’s not that I have been dishonest but just not real open and transparent. In a way, even though the relationships are old they can still be a little thin.

About a year and a half ago, I decided to try to do something about it. I started planning a guy’s night out every month. It usually ends up being a half dozen or so new and old friends. We get together at a restaurant and hang out. No real agenda, just a few hours to talk about whatever comes up. I think it has been good for all of us.

About six months ago, I started another group, going beyond this smaller group of friends. I wanted to be able to invite guys from church or anyone else interested. It’s called 3rdTuesday. It’s always on the third Tuesday of the month and always at the same place. Hopefully, easy to remember and schedule.

If you are a guy in the Denver area, I want to invite you to come.
Here is a flier that gives the details. Check out the quiz as well and give an honest evaluation of your relationships.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment