Sunday, January 28, 2007

Who’s Your Daddy?

Mt 23:9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.

Have you ever thought of what this verse means?

If you look in many commentaries, they will reference the Roman Catholic Church and the priest who is called father.

I think the meaning is completely different from that. Here is why. For one thing, when Jesus spoke those words, He wasn’t speaking in English so he didn’t use the word father. Transliterated, the word he used was pater.

Looking at the word in it’s original language we get an understanding of what Jesus meant to convey. Pater or father is the one who is the provider, sustainer and upholder. Therefore, with that understanding, what we can get from this is that Jesus was saying that we should only look to our heavenly Father in that way.

Who is your Daddy? Is there a person who you look to for provision, sustenance and upholding? Do you think of yourself in that way? Are you self-made and don’t want to admit that you need help from anywhere?

This verse has been a comfort to me through the years. I know it is my responsibility to work hard but I look beyond myself for the ultimate provision. I know that I am a branch and without the vine, I will wither. God is the one who holds me up. I don’t have the strength in myself. I point my family beyond me to God. I want them to know the one true Father.

God’s my Daddy and He’s the best Father!

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment