Thursday, February 1, 2007

Dead Dishwasher Blues

As I came in the back door from work today, my son made a comment about water on the floor. I looked and saw brown water by the dishwasher. I wondered if it was a spill but as I investigated, it was obvious that it was leaking. Thanks to God that the leak appeared quickly rather than one of the slow ones that does damage until it is found.

The amazing thing too is that the dishwasher was installed in 1973; that’s 33 years old. My Dad put it in and always recommended the Kitchen Aid brand. I guess that is why. I must say though that in our old house we put in a Kitchen Aid about 10 years ago and it died after about 3 years. So maybe the new stuff isn’t as good as the old.

Grab tools, disconnect old one, haul it out the back door and head to Home Depot to get a new one. Pick one out and then find out they don’t stock any of them any more. Head to Lowes and pick out one there, more selection as well. Haul it home, bla, bla bla, job done. Wash dinner dishes.

The good thing is that for the most part I took it in stride. Just a little crankiness as people stood around watching the progression.

Even though I repair things for a living, it always seems different when something is broke at my house. Then I am not the happy repairman. Maybe getting paid has something to do with it.

Anyway, I am thankful to God that it happened at a convenient time, I had some money for a new one and it is much quieter than the old one.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment