Thursday, December 27, 2007

Jamie Lynn Spears

This is Britney's sister. Until last week I didn't know she existed. Now I know that she is 16, pregnant and the father is her boyfriend.

"It was a shock for both of us, so unexpected," she said. "I was in complete and total shock, and so was he."

Well I assume it wasn't a virgin birth so I don't understand the shock. I guess it must be the thinking that "it couldn't happen to me."

What really amazes me is the pseudo shock that the media is expressing. Are we to believe that the average Hollywood actress, 16 or not, is abstaining from sex? The reality is that most pregnancies like Jamie's end in abortion.

As the church in general, we don't have much room for outrage either. Statistically, twenty-four percent of abortions are done on women who identify as evangelical Christian. Depending on who you listen to, either a majority or a high percentage of youth group girls are sexually active and many of the resulting pregnancies are covered up by abortion.

So back to Jamie...I sure don't condone her situation but it is kind of amazing that she hasn't dealt with it by abortion.

We have to ask ourselves if the typical youth group girl would make the same decision or if she would feel that abortion might be easier.

It's difficult, but we have to learn to mix a stand for righteousness with compassion and forgiveness.

Of course, we should help them understand that even if they believe that sex is only for marriage, if they don't have proper boundaries, sex is almost inevitable. Their heart may say one thing but privacy mixed with aroused passion can get out of control very quick.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment