Sunday, October 26, 2008

Passion

As I write this, I am at Clement Park. I’m reading while my kids skateboard.

Across the park there is a softball game going on. Every few minutes the crowd erupts with screams and whistles. Someone has hit the ball and all hell breaks loose.

It’s Sunday morning. Many people are at church and I would presume that for many people, this softball game is their church. They are devoted and passionate. They aren’t ashamed to scream for their team. They give their all.

I think of the other churches – the Christian ones that are meeting this morning. Are we passionate or do we pass the time with a yawn? Are we checking our watches, thinking of the game this afternoon? What are we excited about?

Would we be ashamed to yell and whistle in church, let alone lift our hands, but can hardly contain our passion for other things?

What about money? How does it reflect our passion? Do we grudgingly give in the offering at church but have no problem laying out loads of cash for the latest toy?

Passion comes from the heart. Matthew 6:21 says, For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. How about this: From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force. Matthew 11:12 That sounds like passion; much better than lying on the couch flipping through channels.

Our church meets tonight. I’m hoping all heaven breaks loose. I want to give it my all.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment