Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Results

I write this late on election night but I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. All I know is that we will have a new president elect, many new office holders and a bunch of other issues will be decided.

I have prayed for this election for many months. I pray for certain candidates but I have a constant prayer when I pray for government. It comes from Proverbs 21:1, The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will. God is bigger than all of this and He works in the affairs of men.

I have heard many people express fear and near panic as they worry what will happen if Obama becomes president. On the other hand, I know many “Christians” have expressed that they will vote for him. They trade their birthright for a bowl of stew. They trade something they think they will get from Obama for the lives of unborn children. Obama has promised that his first act will be to wipe away all protections for unborn children – at least the ones scheduled for abortion. How could someone claim to be a follower of God and accept such a bargain?

But the point of this writing is to put God in perspective. An election will not thwart His plans. He’s bigger than that.

I have prayed for mercy for this country even though we deserve judgment. I pray for mercy for unborn children and born children whose innocence will be stolen by those who seek to corrupt them and undermine their parent’s influence.

So, God may be merciful or maybe this country will get a taste of judgment. Maybe we need to feel the grinding of the wicked man’s boot on our neck. This would be appropriate is we are willing to trade children’s lives for our own perceived peace and prosperity.

I encourage you to focus on God and not man. If we wake up tomorrow morning to a new, darker world, then look beyond to a God who turns the heart of the king. He can turn an Obama wherever He wants. And that turning may depend on his people. Will God hold back wickedness or will he use it as chastisement?

I close with these words from Jesus, Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27 Draw close to Jesus and you will have a peace that passes all understanding. Fear God and not man.

In the service of King Jesus,

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment