Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Suicide

A close friend of mine is laying in a hospital bed. Through God's miraculous intervention, he is alive. He overdosed on prescription medicine that was supposed to make his life better. God hasn't given up on him even though he gave up on himself.

How did he end up in this place? What series of decisions, one upon another, led to the downward spiral?

Here is what I know. It could happen to any of us. 1 Corinthians 10:12 says: Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.

Every one of us is a sinner. Every one of us has a besetting sin. There is that thing we just can't get a handle on. The thing God wants to use to pull us toward himself and the thing the devil wants to use to pull us away from God.

Do you know what yours is? If not you had better find out.

What sin am I messing around with? Do I fool myself by thinking I have it under control?

Here is an old saying that is full of truth:

Sin will take you places where you don't want to go.
Sin will cost you more than you want to pay.
Sin will keep you longer than you want to stay.
When I give into some sin, it becomes my master. It starts taking up more and more room and making bigger and bigger demands. One bad decision leads to another. The spiral begins. The vortex pulls me to a place I never thought possible. My marriage falls apart, I lose my job, I find out what it's like in jail, I find out what addiction is. Or maybe I end up in a hospital bed or in the morgue.

I find out how dangerous sin is!

Lord Jesus, thank you for your mercy and grace. Thank you for forgiveness and the power to resist sin. Help each of us to realize the power of leaven. Help us to be intolerant of the little foxes that can spoil the vineyard. Help us to walk in Your Spirit. And have Your way with my friend and accomplish Your will in his life.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment