Friday, December 5, 2008

Penitence

I came across this thought in a book, Not the End but the Road by Gary Thomas.

Penitence is being willing to exchange my old view of the things that I think will give me inner life for the things from God that really will give life and health.
Such a simple thought but so much truth. It made me think of how many times we hold on to something, afraid to give it up because it means so much to us, brings such security, or something else. But in reality, it is a poor substitute for the good thing God wants to give to us.

Fear holds us and lies deceive us. We are afraid that God wants us to give up something good or that if we surrender we will end up having to do something horrible. “God will send me to Africa or make me have a lot of children.”

The truth is that when we finally give in we find such pleasure, peace and fulfillment. Too bad we are such hard learners.

God always gives the best to those who leave the choice to Him.
Jim Elliot

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment