Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Breakfast, Sleep and Weight Loss

If you are interested in losing weight two things are very important: eating breakfast and getting good sleep.

Some people think that if they skip breakfast it will help them lose weight. The opposite is true. When you skip breakfast your metabolism slows and your blood sugar drops. This results in low energy and hunger that may lead to unhealthy snacks or overeating at lunch because you are “starving.” A healthy breakfast is the start of a good day.

My favorite breakfast is one slice of whole grain toast and four egg whites. For less than 130 calories I get a good load of protein, high fiber, good carbs and very little fat or sugar. I’m ready to work.

I also have a small meal between lunch and dinner. This keeps my metabolism going and helps prevent a feeling of hunger. My favorite is three dried apricots and five almonds. Less than 100 calories and it’s loaded with good stuff that keeps me fueled. A small amount of trail mix is good too.

Studies show that those who sleep less often weigh more. It seems that good sleep and the right amount of sleep helps with the hormonal balance necessary for weight management. Dieters who didn’t get enough sleep lost muscle rather than fat. Also a lack of sleep seems to stimulate appetite which can lead to weight gain.

Well those are a couple more things I have learned on my weight loss journey. More later.

Here is a link to posts about my weight loss journey.

Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment