Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Watch Your Language

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. Ephesians 5:4

The Message paraphrase puts it this way: Though some tongues just love the taste of gossip, Christians have better uses for language than that. Don't talk dirty or silly. That kind of talk doesn't fit our style. Thanksgiving is our dialect.

This verse came up in a Bible study I went to last night. The subject was something else but it made me think about my language.

I can be very negative. I also make many remarks that are cutting to people. I have been praying for some time that God would help me to stop before I say things like this.

I see from the above verse that I need the language of thanksgiving. That will counter the negative and cutting talk. One of my new prayers is going to be for that. I hope for thanksgiving to become my dialect.

By the way, the topic of the Bible study was laughter. What we laugh at can show the condition of our heart. So, with that in mind here are some jokes I heard there:

Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.

A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, “I’ll serve you, but don't start anything."

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: "Does this taste funny to you?"

An invisible man marries an invisible woman. The kids were nothing to look at either.

I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.
Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment