Sunday, February 28, 2010

No More "If Only"

Thoughts from my reading in Whiter Than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy by Paul David Tripp.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Psalm 51:5

It's so easy to slip into an "if only" lifestyle. I find myself slipping into it often. The "if only" possibilities are endless:

If only I'd been from a more stable family.
If only I'd had better friends as I was growing up.
If only my parents had sent me to better schools.
If only I'd been given better intellectual gifts.
If only that accident hadn't happened.
If only I'd had better physical health.
If only that degree program had been as good as advertised.
If only I'd been able to find a better job.
If only I didn't have to fight the traffic every day.
If only I'd been able to get married.
If only I hadn't gotten married so young.
If only I'd understood marriage more before I got married.
If only I had a more understanding spouse.
If only I'd come to know Christ earlier.
If only I'd found a good church when I was young.
If only I didn't have to struggle with my finances.
If only it was easier and more comfortable for me to communicate with others.
If only I could find a small group that I could be comfortable with.
If only I could have had children.
If only my children were more obedient.
If only I knew the Bible better.
If only that boss hadn't fired me.
If only I had a better place to live.
If only I could find some place where I feel like I really belong.
If only God seemed closer to me.
If only I didn't have to work so hard to make ends meet.
If only . . .
"If only" is the reality we live in. Our broken, sin filled world is messed up. Things are not what they could have been. The people who have sinned against us have done real damage.

Are we going to let "if only" determine our present and future? Here is a line from the devotional that sums it up: The "if only" lifestyle tends to say, "My biggest problems in life exist outside of me and not inside of me."

The real problem is sin. The thing inside us causes our deepest problems.

Think about it this way: it is the evil that is inside of you that either magnetizes you to the evil outside of you or causes you to deal with the evil outside of you in a way that is wrong. It is only when you begin to accept that your greatest problem in all of life is not what has happened or been done to you that you begin to get excited about the rescuing grace of Jesus Christ.
In admitting my sin, I get the help I need. God's grace enables me to deal properly with all of the external things that are not as they should be. They no longer control me.

Here is a question from the meditation:

When you are dealing with the often difficult realities of life in this fallen world, what are the "if onlys" that tend to flood into your head?
Here are a couple I think about: If only I had more money; life would be much easier. If only I could communicate better; those extroverts have it so easy.

Lord Jesus, thank you that you cause all things to work together for my good. Thank you that you can use the external circumstances of my life for your glory. Thank you that even my deficiencies can be used for good.

Philip
.

Get this book and join the journey:

Olive Tree – PDA or Smartphone

Amazon - paper

No comments:

Post a Comment